Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:30:43 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passing arguments to *_DEPENDS

Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> wrote:

> > OpenBSD's FLAVOR system, in short.
>
> That would rule. I've been meaning to look at porting OpenBSDs bsd.port.mk
> for quite some time but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Besides I
> suspect it will be very difficult. Anyone else been having a look at it?

Porting OpenBSD's bsd.port.mk and pkg tools to FreeBSD should be
almost trivial.  You'd probably have to add some things to make(1),
too.  _Integrating_ them with the existing FreeBSD ports infrastructure
will be really hard, tough.

> OpenBSD also has the IMHO pretty cool concept of separating package
> building from installing; that is, a port is just used to make a package
> instead of making the package from installed bits.

The FAKE feature.  The bsd.port.mk part of this should be fairly
simple.  The hard part here is that the individual ports need to
support installation to a DESTDIR prefix.  Some will support this
out of the box, some will need a bot of work, some will need extensive
work.

OpenBSD introduced FAKE, started out with a default of FAKE=No,
gradually converted ports, eventually switched the default to
FAKE=Yes, and for some time all ports have used fake installs.

If portmgr made some encouraging noises about this (yes, we would
like to have this, send patches)...