Date:      31 May 2005 09:53:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/rc.d and rcNG style scripts question

"Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net> writes:

> I read the handbook and the man page for rc and one question remains.
>
> For scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d it appears that the assumption is
> that all scripts are old style and so, no matter if they are rcGN
> style scripts or not, they will all run in lexographic order, right?

That seems to be the case.  I had assumed that rcorder would get
invoked there too, but it doesn't.  Presumably that's because most of
the scripts there *are* old-style, but it wouldn't be very hard to
filter them into old- and new- style lists if someone wanted to code
that up.  It doesn't sound very useful, though; not the way doing it
for the system startup scripts was.