Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, ritter@orbisys.com
Subject:   Problem Solved!  Import SwingSet into JWS-2.0a

O.K.  Problem solved!!  Many thanks to Amancio and Nate for their
invaluable help in tracking this down.  I just replaced fastjavac as
suggested by Amancio and this fixed the importing of swing-1.0.1 into
JWS-2.0a.  As I mentioned in an earlier e-mail in this thread, I had
already inserted the following into the startup_wrapper for jws (note that
this is something that was changed by Sun in the startup_wrapper that
comes with JWS-2.0a, and which I added by hand to Amancio's
startup_wrapper modified for FreeBSD):

max_heap="-mx128m"

and

java_opts="${max_heap} ${initial_heap} ${c_stack_size} ${java_opts}"

Note that this max_heap limit is larger than specified by Amancio in his
suggestion below.  I suppose your mileage may vary on this one on a
project by project basis...

Since my startup_wrapper now diverges from Amancio's original
startup_wrapper due to additional suggestions from Nate and since a
fastjavac shell script now replaces the solaris binary version of
fastjavac I could post a tar.gz encapulating these changes to this list
for one of you to incorporate into jwspatch.tar.gz, if you like.

To summarize:
  1) I installed jdk1.1.5.V98-2-25.tar.gz as per http://www.freebsd.org/java/
  2) I installed JWS-2.0 as per http://www.freebsd.org/java/
  3) I found that locate_dirs in jwspatch.tar.gz was corrupted.  The first
     line was "2" and need to be changed to "#!/bin/sh"
  4) I found I had to tweak startup_wrapper for jws as follows to get
     JWS-2.0 to run:
     change:
     javaloc="${_SS_JDK_HOME}/bin/${V_ARCH}/${THREADS_FLAG}_threads"
     to:
     javaloc="${_SS_JDK_HOME}/bin"
  5) I installed the JWS-2.0a extension available from Sun
  6) I further tweaked startup_wrapper to as follows:
     add:
     max_heap="-mx128m"
     change:
     java_opts="${initial_heap} ${c_stack_size} ${java_opts}"
     to:
     java_opts="${max_heap} ${initial_heap} ${c_stack_size} ${java_opts}"

  7) I Installed swing-1.0.1 from Sun
  8) I replaced fastjavac with:

     #!/bin/sh
     javac $*

  9) I could then import swing-1.0.1 widgets into the GUI palette in
     JWS-2.0a!!

Conclusions:  I am now running JWS-2.0a with swing-1.0.1!!!

O.K. let the development begin...

Thanks again,

Tom