Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:30:25 +0100
From:      hhoernle@t-online.de (Helmut Hoernle)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   System freeze (supported Disk Controllers)

hi  freebsd
regarding the supported Hardware  of FreeBSD 4.7 (4.8) on a PC with AMD
Athlon I have a question :
Does FreeBSD support this Configuration ?

Trying to install LINUX on rather high performance Hardware
There is constantly the Problem of freezing the system of this configuration :
The Motherboard is a Jetway  848 BS with an AMD Athlon  1400 MHZ and an
ALI M1649 + M1535D Chipset ( according to manual )
which consists of :
Ali M1533 Aladdin IV ISA Bridge
Ali M5229 IDE Controller
Ali M1647 Northbridge
Ali M7101 Power Management
Ali M5451 AC -link Controller (Sound )
Ali USB 1.1  USB - Controller

that is according to /proc/pci of  LINUX

The Disk - Controller is a UltraDMA100 IDE Controller with
ALI M5229 Chipset.
I use 1024 MB of SDRAM 2-2-2 Infinion.
The Harddisks are IBM DTLA 307015 for booting and root partition and
IBM  Deskstar IC35L100 for /home.
The Graphicboard is a Jetway RV100 ATI Radeon VE QY with 64MB RAM.

I tried to run LINUX with a 2.4.19-195 Kernel
( modified SuSE 8.1) but the System freezes undefined on unknown
conditions without any warnings or messages.

The UDMA100 - mode  doesn't work on SuSE 8.1 either.
So I tried the newer kernel 2.4.29-195; but no improvements.

Also Knoppix with kernel 2.4.19-xfs has the same problem.

Is it possible to run FreeBSD on this Hardware ?

thanX in Advance

Helmut