Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2007 04:45:39 -0500
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First message

On Sunday 02 September 2007 10:53:15 pm Jo=E3o Henrique wrote:
> Nice to meet you!
> My notebook - HP Pavilion DV9308 - have a dual core AMD Turion64 chip and=
> video card by NVidia (GeForce 6150).
> I can not install FreeBSD on it, because the system freezes completely wi=
th
> or without ACPI enabled on boot time.
> I have tried a lot of tips, but this machine is die hard.
> What kind of additional information must be furnished to help me to insta=
ll
> FreeBSD in my machine?
>
> Thank you!
> Prof. Jo=E3o Henrique G. Borges
> "Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX pretty than it is to make
> Windows secure."

I have a HP Pavillion DV9010us. What you are describing sounds like what=20
happened to me. I think your problem is with the installed BIOS. With the=20
second released version of the BIOS, FreeBSD would install but the CPU was=
=20
not recognized as a dual core and ran at half speed. Any version after that=
=20
and FreeBSD  would not install, it just hung when booting up the install=20
disk; some versions of LINUX would install and operate, some would install=
=20
but not operate, and some wouldn't install. By going back to the first=20
released version of the BIOS, FreeBSD amd64 stable would install, the CPU w=
as=20
immediately recognized as a dual core and it ran at full speed. The problem=
=20
was then: the nv driver didn't display adequately on the 17" widescreen, I=
=20
needed the nVidia driver which doesn't exit for amd64. I then installed the=
 i=20
then installed FreeBSD i386 stable and things are fine.

See if F.15 and/or f.16 BIOS is available for your notebook and try those.

Don