Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:19:29 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent massive port update.

--Sig_/87D3iwgHij0l8e/p68wS1rz

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:53:57 -0600
ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 February 2010 15:36:22 Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> > > No need, since it a port has a new version, a rebuild is expected.
> >=20
> > Is expected, but if somebody are not using portmaster or
> > portupgrade, simple upgrade of jpeg will break other ports and I
> > think that in the case of jpeg (widely used library) there will be
> > a lot of users asking "why my app XYZ is not working anymore".
> >=20
> > So what was the reason to put UPDATING entry 20090719 for jpeg 7,
> > if it is no longer needed for jpeg 8?
>=20
> And in my case, I use portmaster, rebuilding of QT33 and arts doesn't
> work and I screw many applications. Thank you for your hard work but
> I don't know why is a rush for something which doesn't work?

This is a QT / KDE problem. It doesn't depend on the tool you use
(portmaster, portupgrade or simple make). It would manifest if any of
the libs those KDE libs are linked against would have their versions
bumped. And it only manifest itself if QT / KDE is already installed,
hence we couldn't catch it on the cluster.

In other words, QT 3 / KDE 3 ports are in wrong, and the fact that we
see this problem after jpeg upgrade is an accident (in the sense that
it has nothing to do with jpeg).

--=20
FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B