Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mentioning RFC numbers in /etc/services

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Ben Rosengart wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > Ok - but it's a bit misleading having both values in /etc/services..
> >
> > Shouldn't be:
> > http             80/tcp    www www-http         #World Wide Web HTTP
> > http             80/udp    www www-http         #World Wide Web HTTP
> >
> > Should be:
> > http             80/tcp    www www-http         #World Wide Web HTTP
> > http             80/udp    			#[not used]
> >
> > Don't you think?  At least that way you don't have to read all of the
> > rfcs to construct a firewall ;).
>
> And the output of netstat (trafshow, etc.) would be considerably easier to
> read.

	The -n option to trafshow disables number->name translation for
both addresses and ports, although that might be more than what is wanted.
I do know what you mean though. On some of the machines I administer I
have some custom entries for /etc/services that make more sense than the
defaults, especially for the ports > 1023.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter