Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:13:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of /usr file system (was: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

> >In message <200112120509.fBC59Qk07926@mass.dis.org> Mike Smith writes:
> >: > However, the argument for /usr is more than just that it is for crash
> >: > recovery.
> >:
> >: It is?  Sounds like there are lots of retconned reasons that could
> >: equally easily be worked around. 8)
>
> Has the requirement for the root partition being first in the disklabel
> been removed?  I prefer to have my swap partition as close to the front
> of the disk as possible to take advantage of the faster tracks.  If /
> needs to come before swap, and / is *huge*, swap gets slower.

The root partition has to be first in the disklabel, but it shouldn't
have to be first on the disk.  AFAIK, we don't use the first 64k of the
swap partition explicitly to avoid stomping on labels and the like.

I recall that sysinstall/libdisk had problems with this (it imposed a
more rigid ordering than was necessary), but I think that was the only
issue.  If not, do you remember what the problem was?