Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:59:54 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), rkw@dataplex.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

Chad R. Larson writes:
> > > But there are (can be) seperate copies of newvers.sh in each branch?
> > > Seems it would be an administrative procedure to touch it correctly as
> > > part of creating a new branch.  How often does that happen?  Couple of
> > > times a year?
> >
> > More than that, but as I stated before, file corruption even *once*
> > isn't acceptable.  The number of problems that will occur when a branch
> > occurs (and everyone and his dog decides to finally download things)
> > means that the # of questions due to bogus files is now bigger than the
> > number of questions solved by implementing the solution.
>
> I'm obviously ignorant of the discussions you had with Richard.  Can you
> explain the "file corruption" you imagine?

*sigh*

OK, we have a file.  It's got a couple branches in it (branched at
version 1.6 (BRANCH1) and at 1.30 (BRANCH2)).  The current 'HEAD' revision is 1.101.

So, in the file we need to have the following:

1.6.1.1 is the first revision on BRANCH1, the next revision is 1.6.1.2,
etc....

1.30.4.1 would be the first revision on BRANCH2 (Don't ask why the '4'
is there, since I don't know. :)

Each subsequent revision on that branch would have a number 1.30.4.2,
1.30.4.3, etc....

On the HEAD, we're at 1.101.  Let's say a new branch is created on the
HEAD.  At that point, the RCS file would contain the same as above,
*PLUS* a new set of branch revisions, say

1.101.6.1:

However, the 'auto-RCS file' generator would spam this file and kill it
(so the new branch would have no 'tag' file in it), so CVSup would have
to know how to 'remove' the valid file, one that it may have sent just 5
minutes ago to the same client (assuming the client connected right at
the wrong time.)

So, we've got a file that has this new branch in it, and 5 minutes later
the file is totally different, thus confusing CVSup and any CVS clients
assuming that CVSup/CTM actually end up finally getting the file
straightended out.

(My client may have thought that the 1.106 branch was valid, and then
that branch tag was ripped out from underneath it, causing problems.)

Now, the possibility is small, and only within the window of someone
going and fixing the 'auto RCS-generator' file, but given the hecticness
of releases and the simple fact that 'magic' things never get done,
having it done automatically is much more important than requiring
someone to go edit a file and make sure things don't get spammed in the
process.  Especially when it *can* be done automatically.

Nate