Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 19:03:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fadorn19@idt.liberty.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a Kernel

> Why can anyone talk simple when explaining something instead of referring me
> to documentation that is so vague?  I am trying to install a pseudo device.
> I do not see it listed in my present kernel.  The installation was for user
> implementation not developer.  The Handbook ch. 12.1.2 "Building a ppp ready
> kernel" says to check my compile directory (probably /sys/i386/conf) and
> examine the kernel.  The problem is that the cd-rom did not install a
> directory like that.  I have sys file in root and the two files called
> "kernel" and "kernel.GENERIC".  Why can't I do this using the User Config
> Utility?  If someone is going to explain it please keep it simple, I am only
> a novice. I appreciate the efforts from those that have tried to help!

The User Config utility doesn't build kernels, for one thing.

For another, you have to have /usr/src/sys installed to build kernels;
the directory /sys (in your "probably" above) is a symbolic link to
/usr/src/sys.

Typically you would:

1)	Make sure what you need to build a kernel is installed:

	a)	Compiler
	b)	/usr/src/sys

2)	Copy a working configuration:

	cd /sys/i386/conf
	cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

3)	Look at the LINT kernel to find the right lines to add
	to the file "MYKERNEL" to add your pseudo device (which
	you don't tell us what it is, so we can't tell you the
	line, you have to look at the file):

	more LINT
	vi MYKERNEL

4)	Config your modified configuration file:

	config MYKERNEL

5)	Go to where config puts things and build your kernel:

	cd /sys/compile/MYKERNEL
	make depend
	make
	make install

6)	Reboot.  If it explodes, give the name "kernel.old" instead
	of hitting return or waiting for the timeout at the boot
	prompt.  Once the system is up:

	cd /
	mv kernel kernel.explodes
	mv kernel.old kernel
	cd /var
	mv /var/db/kvm_kernel.db /var/db/kvm_kernel.explodes.db
	mv /var/db/kvm_kernel.old.db /var/db/kvm_kernel.db

	Go to step #3

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---