Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:34:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        keith@mail.telestream.com, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quantum DLT 4000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Right, I've had a lot of trouble with tape drives.  DLT drives are
> supposed to be "very" reliable (i.e. not as terrible as some others).

I can attest to DLT reliability.  We've been using them exclusively for
backups for about four years now and have had only one drive failure in that
entire time, on our oldest Digital-branded DLT4000.

We have a mix of two 4000s and five 7000s locally that do about 200GB per
night 5 nights per week.  Restores are thankfully less frequent, but I've
never had a media failure and I often have to merge/restore from a tape
that's 2-3 years old.

I find that DDS-2 tapes of that vintage are worthless, and I only wish that
the DDS-2 drives I've used (mixture of Archive Python and HP) had anywhere
near the reliability that the DLT drives have shown.

The only bad thing I can say bad about DLT drives is the changer we have,
Quantum mumblesomthing, kind of sucks rocks.  It's fine once it gets a DLT
tape in the recorder, but the changer mechanism is slower than molasses,
partly due to the inherently slow DLT mount time.