Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:44:02 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'make world' not so common

On Monday 29 April 2002 07:44 am, Micha³ Pasternak wrote:

> what advantages (and disadvantages) does recompilation (so common thing in
> *BSD world) has over binary packages (deb/rpm, for example) ?

I have a fast machine, so it doesn't take that long to rebuild everything. If
make buildworld took all night, I probably wouldn't do it. Same for ports.

The big advantage for me is that I get to optimize my software for my
machine. By default, all of the packages are built for generic i386
computers. But I am running a P4 at work and an Athlon at home. By using
optimization in my make.conf, I end up with about a 15% speed improvement.
You can't use optimization for the kernel, but you can for the rest of
userland.

David