Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:48:09 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't build anything Gnome

Not much a GNOME problem really.  Your tree has inconsistent shared
libraries in it.  For example, with multiple versions of libpng
installed (which you clearly have), it's a miracle much of anything
works.

Although reasonable minds may differ, I like portupgrade.  One way to
solve your problem (there are many others) is to:

1) install portupgrade
2) read the documentation
3) run pkgdb -FuU (or a commandline similar to above)
4) run portsclean -D (to get rid of obsolote shared libraries)
4a) run cvsup to update the ports tree
5) run pkgdb as above again (important to have a consistent database)
6) run portupgrade -a (to update all your installed ports to the most
recent version)
7) deinstall all ORBit ports that you have installed (if they are)
8) install the GNOME meta-port in x11/gnome

Things should work better after this . . .

          _
   | |V| / '                       ||  MacroHard --                   \
\_| | | \_,                       ||     the perfection of form over |