Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:56:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        William Lloyd <wlloyd@mpd.ca>
Cc:        Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user limits, login.conf, etc.

If you are tracking -stable on a machine first installed as 2.2(.*), you
might want to see that you have the latest /etc/login.conf copied from
/usr/src/etc/login.conf by hand, and then do a 'cap_mkdb login.conf'.

If that doesn't solve your problems, are you starting xdm from rc.local?
You could put 'ulimit -a' just ahead of the call to xdm to see what limits
are in effect as inherited from the daemon login class from login.conf.

If the whole business of login.conf disgusts you, the limits for root are
pretty permissive; rather than tweaking the daemon class you could just
start xdm with root's resource limits:

	/usr/bin/limits -C root /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm

(an example which was pointed out to me by someone on this list when I was
having the same trouble.)

"Painnnnnn" - Spock during mindmeld with Horta who is thrashing with
login.conf problems.

-Chris