Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:59:49 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Device driver & KLD module

History:
    I had a device driver for a BDM (Background Debug Module for
Motorola 683xx CPUs) that worked fine as a kernel device and a LKM.  It
was based upon the LPT driver, because it attached to the parallel port,
and the JOY LKM, cause it was simple.

Present:
    I have updated the driver, it does work as a kernel device.  It does
not work as a KLD.  It does not print its startup nor create a device.
It was updated to match the current JOY KLD.  It also appears the JOY
KLD may not be working.

Questions:
    1) Does the JOY KLD actually work?  What is the simplest way to test
it.  I have a joystick, but not sure how to read info from it.
    2) If not I will fix it, if possible, while fixing my BDM.
    3) Looking around it would seem that the VESA KLD might be the
simplest KLD to look at.  Is this true, or is there a better one?

My source for the BDM driver is available, for anyone who wants to peek,
is at: http://bdm.thehousleys.net/bdm.tgz .  The full page with some
more info is at: http://bdm.thehousleys.net .

Thanks for all help.

Jim
--
microsoft: "where do you want to go today?"
linux:     "where do you want to go tomorrow?"