Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:16:52 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        Draco Ravenloft <DRACO81@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OLD OLD computer

FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux would all be no goes. (There is/was a group
doing a port of linux to 8088 but I doubt its useful yet) You might want to
find a copy of Minix. That should run on an 8088. It was designed to teach
people OS coding so its not the latest and greatest, but is IS unix like,
and I have run (1.0 atleast) on an 8088. their main pages seems to be here:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html

-Steve

At 02:14 PM 9/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have an old computer I'd like to free some resources on.
>
>I currently run Linux on my newer system and rather like it and have
>found that Unix is MUCH easier on the system resources than DOS.
>
>But I'm having a problem finding anything that will run on this thing's
>old 8088 processor.  Does FreeBSD have a version that would run on this?
>
>If not...  what *nix can I get if any?

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \