Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 20:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaBIOS documentation

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Doug Rabson wrote:

> I have spent a *long* time reading Linux and Milo source code and I really
> want to avoid putting hardware drivers in the bootloader.

There's a lot more than hardware drivers in that particular
bootloader. It also includes a complete set of PALcode. (PAL stands
for `Privileged Architecture Library,' and is used to implement
some very low-level, machine dependent functions, such as memory
and TLB management.) This, of course, is different even from machine
to machine with the same CPU, and thus the bootloader for the
AXPpci33 is not the same as the bootloader for the Multia, despite
the fact that they both use the same CPU and the are exactly the
same machine type (that is, use exactly the same kernel code) under
NetBSD.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates