Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:51:02 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: current ppp sources

Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org> wrote:

> Won't
>
>   set phone "111111:222222:111111:333333"
>
> solve this ?

How? Isn't it just cycling to the next number every time it tries to dial out?
What I was thinking of as a normal mode when everything is working right would
be that the first number is the only one that ever gets dialed. The remaining
numbers would be fallbacks in case there was some sort of error getting
connected to the first one. (note that I'm using the -auto flag, so the
connection times out and gets re-established frequently while the system is
up).

Maybe it could be a different syntax to denote fallback numbers like this:

	set phone "100|101|102:200|201|202"

to use ":" to separate numbers that should be used in sequence.  Use "|" to
separate primary numbers from their fallbacks.  So, in the above, if all of
the phone numbers are successfully connecting, it would alternate between
"100" and "200".  It would only try "101" if "100" failed.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org