Date:      Mon, 16 May 2011 06:32:49 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@volcano.org>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: snd_hda : sometimes sound sometimes not

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 06:22:16PM +0200, David Demelier wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 08:47, David Demelier wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I don't know if there is a lot of changes in the snd_hda driver in the
> >-STABLE branch but since I upgraded to it sometimes I have sound and
> >sometimes not.
> >
> >The mixer are exactly the same when these event occurs. This happened
> >this morning. After booting I do not have any sound. I rebooted and
> >suddenly I've got sound again...
> >
> >I only tweak snd_hda(4) for a pin sense on the front panel (it has no
> >sound neither)
> >
> >So I added in /boot/devices.hints :
> >hint.hdac.1.cad0.nid27.config="as=1 seq=15"
> >
> >And there's the both dmesg ok.txt when sound is here and not.txt when
> >there isn't as you can see there is no difference related to the hda
> >driver.
> >
> >http://markand.malikania.fr/ok.txt
> >http://markand.malikania.fr/nok.txt
> >
> >I'm guessing something. My laptop has a mute shortcut, if I press it at
> >the BIOS stage I will not have sound neither thus is it possible that my
> >chipset is muted from anything?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >

> I will try to downgrade 8.2-RELEASE and then update the kernel code to
> more specific version to see where the regression happens.
>
> How can I try this step by step ? Should I try to svn / cvs day per day?

At least do a binary search via svn revision on the regression:

  That is, look up the current revision of stable you are on, look up
the revision of the 8.2-RELEASE branch point, and update to halfway in
between.  If it has the problem, go halfway between that and the
8.2-RELEASE, if it doesn't, go halfway between that and your current
revision, and so on.

  This approach will cut the number of updates and builds you need to
try to the logarithm of the number of distinct revisions.  My
impression is that it's so obvious to some people they never mention
it and to others it's a complete revelation.

  -- Clifton

--
   Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@volcano.org
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/