Date:      Sat, 21 May 2005 18:59:36 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scheduler fixes for hyperthreading

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On May 21, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Colin Percival wrote:
>> Put simply, threads which share a processor core can monitor each others'
>> memory access patterns, so we need to ensure that such co-scheduling
>> never
>> happens between threads which have different privileges.
>
> I'll be studying your paper to see if it can be shown that the HT
> implementation in Itanium is affected as well.

My understanding is that there are no currently released ia64 processors
with hyperthreading support, but that some future ia64 processor(s) are
likely to be affected.

> I can only assume that the discussion was i386 centric (as this is
> typically the case). Hence my request for a problem description.

In addition to i386 and amd64, which are certainly affected, and ia64,
which will probably be affected, there is a good chance that some powerpc
processors are affected... the problem is a general one with shared caches
and probably affects all currently existing simultaneous multithreading
processors.

I think the "right solution" is to make the basic functionality machine
independent, but have the machine dependent initialization code determine
which sets of threads share caches.

Colin Percival