Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 00:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@seabass.progroup.com>
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com (Bill/Carolyn Pechter)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. AIX

> > I run a Linux system, a BSDI system (commercial BSD) and a FreeBSD system.
> > I'm about to add an OSF/1 system to the menagerie.  I do sysadmin stuff on
> > SunOS, Solaris, NCR Unix (SysV) and AIX (mangled SysV).  FreeBSD is -- for
> > me -- the most comfortable and easy to maintain of the lot.  Your mileage
> > may differ.  There are lots of happy Linux people out there, too.
>
> I run AIX for a living now  -- having done VMS, some 4.x BSD, some HP-UX,
> SunOS, Solaris, SVR0, SVR2, Perkin-Elmer/Concurrent Xelos, Masscomp/Concurrent
> RTU UniPlus SysIII, UniPlus SysV, Coherent.
>
> (As for AIX as mangled SysV -- I don't think it is -- it's OSF/1 based more
> than SysV, but more SysV than BSD -- I think).
>
> Anyone out there know the full lineage of AIX?

I worked with it up to 1990, and I remember at the time that they stopped
tracking SYSV around r.2 (or maybe r.3).  The reason was the licensing or
some such thing, and at that same time for the same reason OSF got started.
(Don't quote me! :)  HPUX did about the same thing.  IBM always tried to
do their own thing with the OS, especially with the Sys Admin stuff.  I
also remember having to deal with pg instead of more on that damn thing,
and some weird implementation of ethernet tcp/ip.  Before that they worked
with Interactive Systems to get their first official version of UNIX.  I
think they are now doing it all in house in Austin.

(Don't quote me! :)
(Don't quote me! :)
(Don't quote me! :)

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088