Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:43:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wierd AMD panics caused by VMWare?

:On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, David Gilbert wrote:
:
:>...
:
:> I have half-a-dozen crash dumps of this nature.  For me, it always
:> happens in fdcopy().  This may be due to the fact that the machine is
:> running a large apache config --- so fork() is something it's doing
:> often.
:
:See PR 16568.  pmap_remove_all() doesn't flush the TLB properly in
:FreeBSD-3.x on i386's.  Somehow this doesn't cause many problems, but
:it fairly reliably breaks the free() in fdfree() when there was a file
:descriptor larger than about 1000 (this gives a free() of more than
:MAXALLOCSAVE = 2 pages) when there is a lot of fork() activity.
:
:Bruce

    Ahh.  I presume you will commit this patch now that Bjoern has
    confirmed that it works?

    I don't know why an unconditional invltlb() didn't work either,
    it should have.  Maybe the __asm macro is being optimized out.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>