Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:35:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        james@ehlo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, aaron-fbsd@mutex.org
Subject:   Re: CPU states at 0.0% on 3.2-R SMP box ?

> this is a problem with an rtc interrupt being lost, which apparently wedges
> up all further rtc interrupts. i solved it by searching the mailing list
> archives and located this post:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=54158+0+archive/1999/freebsd-smp/19
> 990607.freebsd-smp
>
> (in case the URL doesn't work for some reason it's by bob wilcox from may
> 20, the patch is supposedly from tor egge(?) and it patches clkintr).
>
> once i applied the patch i never saw any weirdness.
>
> apparently this is a temporary workaround? can somebody explain more fully?
> what cost am i paying for a patch named "BROKEN_RTC_KLUDGE"?
>
> Aaron Smith

I would advise that you first try adding the line

device          apm0    at isa? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

to your kernel config.  I was one of the people with a flock of P2B-DS's
that exhibited this behaviour, and on the machines I've done this on, it
has magically fixed itself.

(I'd attribute this to somebody but I forget who recommended it)

... Joe