Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 05:55:59 +0000 (   )
From:      Scott Burris <scott@cns.ucla.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   playing audio on IDE CDROM fails with EIO errors

I'm having some odd problems with xmcd and an IDE CDROM drive.  On first use,
it works OK, I can move between tracks, etc., but if I press the stop or eject
buttons, it never works again.  I ran xmcd in debug mode and what appears to
happen is that the device driver starts handing out EIO errors.  Starting xmcd
again has no effect, it gets EIO errors from the start and never recognizes
there's a disc in the drive, so this persists between device opens.

Once I get in this state, if I then run xcdplayer, it reports EIO errors every
second, but I can press play and it works.  Whenever the CD is not playing
though, it starts reporting EIO errors again.  This in no way "rehabilitates"
things so that xmcd will work again.

I'm running 2.2-960801-SNAP with Amancio's GUS PNP changes on a generic Triton
chipset Pentium 166 machine.  The only device on the IDE is an Acer 8X IDE
drive configured as master.  The disk is SCSI on a generic NCR825 PCI
controller. The disk is partioned with Win 95 also so on those *RARE* (ahem)
occasions when I boot that, I've been able to use several CD player programs
with no trouble.

Anyone seen something like this?  Someone want to venture a guess if this is a
kernel bug or some oddity with my particular hardware setup?

Scott
----------------
Scott Burris
UCLA Campus Network Services
scott@cns.ucla.edu

IOCTL: CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL

ioc_read_subchannel data bytes:
0000    02 01 00 00 10 00 00 00  80 d8 bf ef -- -- -- --    ................

IOCTL: CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL

ioc_read_subchannel data bytes:
0000    02 01 00 00 10 00 00 00  80 d8 bf ef -- -- -- --    ................

* STOP

IOCTL: CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL

IOCTL: CDIOREADTOCHEADER

IOCTL: CDIOREADTOCENTRYS

IOCTL: CDIOREADTOCENTRYS

a1=0x20020000 a2=0x20143000

IOCTL: CDIOCSTOP

* PLAY_PAUSE

IOCTL: CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL
CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/rwcd0c: cmd=CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL errno=5