Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:28:36 -0800
From:      William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multicast stats and bridging

In article
<FE045D4D9F7AED4CBFF1B3B813C8533701D9B49F@mail.sandvine.com>,
 Alex Hoff <ahoff@sandvine.com> wrote:

> well I want my stats to match, so I can follow the data. For example, lets
> say I send 1000 multicasts packets from pc A through bridge B to pc C. I
> want the stats for multicasts packets to add up - Incoming 1000 mcast pkts
> on A-B interface and 1000 outgoing mcasts packets on the B-C interface. (And
> Im strictly talking about stack counters). Right now they are getting
> counted as unicast when they leave the bridge.  Does that make more sense?
> Sorry if I was not clear before.

The logic to record these packets differently would be needed to be
inserted into src/sys/net/bridge.c:bdg_forward().

>From cursory reading of the code though, the destination is only
recorded on incoming packets.  All outgoing packets forwarded out an
interface are just counted as BDG_OUT.   To have BDG_MCAST counted both
in and out packets would introduce some complexity to trying to make
sense of those numbers.  Besides, unless the interface is full or some
other error condition all multicast (and broadcast) packets will be
bridged.  If an error results bdg_dropped will be incremented.

In sum, it isn't really "counted as unicast" at all.  It's simply
counted as an outgoing packet, just like all the other outgoing packets.

--
William A. Carrel