Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frustrated and furious

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, John Murphy wrote:

> Darrell Brown wrote:
> >I'm having a difficult time loading the distribution files over ftp.
> >Everytime I try and download the files, I receive 'unable to resolve
> >ftp.freebsd.org' Then it asks me to make sure my gateway, name server and IP
> >address is correct, which my ISP confirmed. can you please help me???
> >

> 'unable to resolve' sounds like a DNS problem.

	Trying to resolve the ftp host is the first "network" thing the
installer does. I see this problem most often when I thought I should have
network connection but didn't. It would be nice (although I'm not
volunteering) for sysinstall to first do something innocuous like ping the
gateway to try and determine if there is a network at all before
proceeding.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire