Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:54:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   $confusion == CVSUP + Jaye_Mathisen

I'm sorry, I'm really trying...

I installed a 2.2-BETA SNAP on a box.  I take the standard-supfile, set
the tage to RELENG_2_2, and fire up CVSUP 14.1.

It merrily cranks along, and retrieves numerous files and diffs from
src-all

So then I go to /usr/src, kick out a make world, and come back in a couple
hours.

Reboot, and voila', I still have old gook there.  Like sendmail 8.8.4,
which I could've sworn was updated to 8.8.5  in 2.2 several days ago.

I regularly have an unbuildable /usr/src, and just renaming /usr/src to
/usr/src.bak and re-cvsupping gets me a usable tree.

Is it just me?  Is there something obviously wrong with my procedure here?

It also seems odd to me that there's a -stable branch which matches up
with 2.1???  A standard branch which seems to generate a 3.0-current, and
nothing in the examples that deliberately points to 2.2-nearly-released.
Yet if you installed 2.2-nearly-released, you should get a cvsup file that
lets you work with what you got...