Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 1999 22:54:10 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Michael G." <mikegoe@ibm.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Cluster Size

> I'm building a chart that describes the different file
> formats and how the cluster size is dependent on the
> partition size (except ofcourse for HPFS).  What I need to
> know is what is the cluster size for the FreeBSD
> 3.0-RELEASE?
>
> If you know..please do tell <grin>

We don't use clusters, so the answer isn't that simple.

By default, the FreeBSD filesystem uses 8kB blocks and 1kB frags,
however these values are tunable.    You're welcome to ask what blocks
and frags are if you need to know; for the purpose of space wastage,
the frag is the smallest allocation unit.