Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:37:21 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Anurak Cherdsuriya" <anurak4@se-ed.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please suggest me on *BSD

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:35:00 +0700
"Anurak Cherdsuriya" <anurak4@se-ed.net> wrote:

> I'm very new to BSD world.   There are so many BSD such as FreeBSD,
> Net BSD, OpenBSD.   All of them are free and I don't know the
> different among them.   I visited all of their web sites but

FreeBSD has the largest pre-installable package selection, and is
arguably the easiest to install and use. It is made for PC compatables
and Alphas only, though other ports are on the way. It is optimized for
PC hardware, which, among other things, makes it the fastest. It also is
probably the best as a workstation (unlike OpenBSD Mozilla works, and
workstation users like lots of software availability), as well as a
server. (Yahoo uses FreeBSD to do it's serving, and even Microsoft is
said to use it for Hotmail.)

NetBSD is famous mainly for being available for the largest amount of
architectures. This is great if you have an old 68K Apple Macintosh, a
VAX, a SPARC, or many other kinds of old or unusual hardware. There's
even a Sony Playstation port.

OpenBSD is famous for security, it works also on several computer
architectures though not as many as NetBSD. Because of this emphasis on
security it makes a good firewall.

> everything there is very similar.   Can you help giving me the
> information or other web sites about all of them?   How to select any
> of them?   I am sure that each of them must have designed for some
> specific reasons.   Thanks in advance.

Take a look in directory.google.com and you'll find lots of *BSD
websites.