Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:07:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link problem - /var to /usr/var - now X won't load

On Monday, 24 January 2000 at 22:17:17 -0800, Chip Wiegand wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. I immediately tried your suggestions
> and immediately got the following message -
>
> mv: cannot rename a mount point

Oh.

> Bummer... the /var in the message below is a partition that was set
> up as such during the initial installation and partitioning of the
> hard drive.  I'm not sure, but that may complicate things a bit?

Not this particular issue.  Your problem is reclaiming the space for
/var after you stop using it.

I think the easy way for you is to modify /etc/fstab as described and
reboot as single user.  I'll think of a reasonable way to do this
later.

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 23 January 2000 at 20:58:37 -0800, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>>> I bought the FreeBSD Powerpak and got it installed without any problems.
>>> During the partitioning section I set up a /var partition of 100 megs, a
>>> root partition of 100 megs, and left a couple gigs for /usr, and
>>> entering df on the command line also shows a /proc partition of 4 1-k
>>> blocks.
>>> Here is the output of df -
>>
>> Please don't wrap output, it makes it very difficult to read.

> Is this regarding the below output? If not, I have netscape mail set to 72 column word wrap, should I change that to
> make it easier to read in other mail programs? I just entered the text as I saw it on the other machine and used tab
> for the spacing. I guess it didn't work like I wanted to.

It's regarding the paragraph immediately above, as well.  It should
look something like:

> Is this regarding the below output? If not, I have netscape mail set
> to 72 column word wrap, should I change that to make it easier to
> read in other mail programs? I just entered the text as I saw it on
> the other machine and used tab for the spacing. I guess it didn't
> work like I wanted to.

I don't think there is any program out there which handles word wrap
correctly.  It's much more complicated than a normal program can
handle.  Turn word wrap off and press Enter at the appropriate time.
Netscape won't help you; in fact, it makes it almost impossible to
send properly formatted mail.  See the URL for more details.

>>> I get a # sign prompt and enter login
>>> I then login as a user, not root, and enter startx.
>>
>> Hmm.  Not what you should be doing.  You're still in single user mode,
>> and you probably don't have all file systems mounted.
>>
>>> It appears to start but then quits to the command prompt again with the
>>> following messages -
>>>
>>> <complaints omitted>
>>

> Sorry if you took this part as complaints, I didn't mean for that
> interpetation, they were the messages from starting kde.

No, I understood the way you meant it.

> Once again, thanks for your help. You must be one of very few
> authors that actually read the newsgroups and actually help people.
> :-)

You're welcome.  How can you know what to write if you haven't solved
real-world problems?

Greg