Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:05:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        David Barbero <sico@loquefaltaba.com>, <riemer@ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de>
Subject:   Re: Toshiba 1901-S301 and problems installing 5.0 dp2

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 at 16:17 +0100, David Barbero wrote:

> Mmm, the compile a new kernel in other machine is dificult if they
> no is a FreeBSD 5.0, but you can prove to compile in a other machine
> with a 4.7 release.
>
> To create a floppy with the new kernel:
> sico#: vnconfig /dev/vn0c /path/to/kern.flp
> sico#: mount /dev/vn0c /mnt
> sico#: rm /mnt/kernel.gz
> sico#: gzip -9 /sys/compile/YOUR_KERNEL/kernel
> sico#: cp /sys/compile/YOUR_KERNEL/kernel.gz /mnt
> sico#: umount /mnt
> sico#: dd if=/path/to/kern.flp of=/dev/fd0
>
> and only need start the instalation with the new kern floppy, if all
> it's correct, the sysinstall run, don't hang the machine.

This procedure will boot the installation process with the new kernel,
but will still install the old kernel.  You also need to copy the new
kernel onto the mfsroot floppy following a procedure similar to the
above (note that the mfsroot image is gzip compressed so you may need
to gunzip/gzip the image around the vnconfig process.

The better solution which I think was already mentioned is to disable
eisa support in the kernel at boot time.  From my web page describing
my experiences with the Toshiba 1005-S157:

You can boot from the standard installation CDs if you disable probing
of the eisa bus. To do this go into command line configuration and
give the command "eisa 0". Once you have installed the OS, remove the
"device eisa" from your kernel configuration, rebuild and reinstall
the kernel.

Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds...
[press space key]
ok boot -c
[...boot messages...]
config> eisa 0
config> quit

The system should now boot up correctly. Don't forget to build and
install a new kernel.

You may find you also need my mouse driver patch to make your touchpad
work.  See:

    http://www.4gh.net/hints/toshiba/satellite1005-s157.html

This information applies to FreeBSD 4.7.  I have not tried any 5.0
version on this laptop yet.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone