Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:06:35 -0400
From:      "Paul J. Mech" <paul@coil.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Considering FreeBSD

To all who have responded, thanks very much for your comments.  I am
definitely going to try installing FreeBSD.  I have a few technical questions
though.

0) When Linux runs out of virtual memory, it crashes.  What is FreeBSD's
behavior under these conditions?

1) What is the standard maximum on the number of open files (system wide and
per user) on FreeBSD?  How severe is the penalty for increasing these?

2) Linux can use any available free memory for file buffers, so that under
light loads some files may end up being accessed entirely from memory.  Does
FreeBSD do this, or does it do a fixed pool of buffers.

Thanks in Advance,
pjm

Paul J. Mech                 |
paul@coil.com  ... or ...    |           ;-) for the humor impaired.