Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:44:12 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Andy <seahorse51@attbi.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, postmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hotmail (was Re: Insider's scoop: Why FreeBSD is dying)

Can we maybe stop debating this and just have our postmaster do what he
can to filter this kind of noise out?  Recycled slashdot trolls are
hardly the kind of content we want to see on hackers@freebsd.org and
what goes on in IRC has been repeatedly made clear to have nothing to
do with the project on any official basis, so we don't need discussions
of IRC behavior on hackers either.  If we took it up in -hackers every
time somebody dissed somebody else in IRC, we'd never have the
bandwidth to discuss anything else.

Filters?  Please?  Enough is enough.

- Jordan

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 10:34 AM, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> Remember that Hotmail is a part of MSN, and they would have a need
>> for that
>> many IP addresses, what with their "Internet content" service.
>
> Oh, I could definitely see Microsoft needing a lot of VIPs; they
> would need one per unique, deployed services, and potentially one
> per "branding" partner (depends on whether they expect a modern
> browser -- "Host:" being set correctly for virtual hosting).  I'm
> "pretty sure", that they have other address blocks, as well.  8-).
>
> For service availability, though, they would only really need a
> small number of VIPs per colocation facility, for a large and
> distributed service (basically, one per redundant virtual circuit
> path for initial distribution).
>
> So if they were widely deployed, you would expect maybe 8 VIPs
> per colocation facility... but you would not expect them to be
> in a large, contiguous netblock: you'd expect them to be 8 here,
> and 8 there, etc., based on geographic location.
>
> It's actually my understanding (I'm willing to be corrected here)
> that HotMail is pretty centrally served, because of the protocols
> involved, and because of their architecture.
>
> Anyway, I guess if I could get a full class B, I'd have one, and
> I wouldn't be questioning *why* someone had been willing to give
> it to me.  8-) 8-).  It just seemed mighty strange.
>
> -- Terry

Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group
Apple Computer