Date:      02 Jun 2000 10:55:43 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX woes

Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Sigh,
>
> I'm fighting TeX again. I installed the port/print/teTeX port
> (to install lilypond after that btw.)
>
> Why has this been changed again? The binaries once used to reside
> in /usr/local/teTeX/bin. With this scheme I seem to recall it was
> absolutely unnecessary to have TEX environment variables.

It's still unnecessary. teTeX installs its binaries into
/usr/local/bin and the support files into
/usr/local/share/texmf. Works fine for me.

> Now I cannot even compile a simple tex program after teTeX installation.

Error messages? What's your $PATH? Do you still have your old TeX
stuff around?

> Also the teTeX installation failed in xdvi interactive config.
> Because no xdvi app-defaults were found.

I can't check now, but ISTR that /usr/local/bin/xdvi (a shell script)
sets the XAPPRESDIR to /usr/local/share/texmf/xdvi, where XDvi
resides.

tg