Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:47:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP Conversion

> >4) NFS.  I'm looking to have an NFS machine which will house pretty much

> I tend to dislike this design. This will create a single point of failure

With a NetApp of falcon NFS server that is 100% redundant a failure is
unlikely. Yet I think that it would be nutzo to put all services on one
box....

> The performance will also suffer because of the massive ammounts of
> info you'll have bouncing in your network back and forth. Picture this:
>
> (1) User request a given article from your news server
> (2) news server reads the file from the NFS server
> (3) news server replies to the client
>
> This duplicates (or triplicates if you consider the download of your
> news traffic) the ammount of data sent over your net.

No.. Put multiple NIC's in 100BaseT or FDDI.. to connect "client" machines
to NFS server.. and isolate the NFS server on a seperate network.

If this is done right files coming out of cache on the NFS Boxes should be
faster than local HD's..

> You also have all your eggs on a single basket; if one of your 4Gig
> disks die, all of your services will go down though they might have
> survived (you still have perfectly good servers).

RAID on NFS Box (NetApp or Falcon Box's are good)

> Please don't get me wrong, as I'm biased towards a more distributed
> design strategy ;)

I think that for most things that distributed computing is the best but
some applications *MAIL* has to have some type of centralization..

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net