Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:44:23 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "loren" <lore@phile.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changing a user's UID

Hi.

This question may not be particularly unique to FreeBSD, but
I'm running Version 3.1 and am trying to find a way to change
a user's UID.

The scenario is as follows:
I'm using quotas and have prototyped various ranges of UID's to
have different quotas for disk space. If I can avoid it, I'd prefer to
not create a new user and a new password, and get the user to
change the password to their own preference.

I've (probably naivley) tried changing the UID's in the /etc/passwd
and the /etc/master.passwd files, but the "quota" command doesn't
seem to recognise the new quotas as they've been prototyped.

I intend to write scripts to regularly check the permitted amount of
background processes being run at the various UID levels, so for
my own sanity, I'd prefer not to just change the quotas for a particular
user within a previously assigned UID range. (Of course, if someone
has already got a suitable script already done to permit a certain
number of user background processes, I'd appreciate a copy :)

Any suggestions as to how I might be able to acheive this or am I
approaching it in the wrong way?

Any tips/suggestions/assistance will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Phillip