Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:10:39 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Eygene Ryabinkin <rea@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for a committer for cam fixes / enhancements

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:44:52 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Hi guys I'm looking for someone who is willing to commit
> some changes to cam.
>
> First is a fix so long timeouts work correctly:-
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/161901
>
> Its been discussed on the freebsd-stable and reviewed
> by Eygene Ryabinkin, cc'ed in case your willing to
> commit it Eygene?
>
> The latest version included in the pr includes an addition
> to Eygene's original patch to add support in the new mps
> driver but apart from that all the same.
>
> We've been running this for quite some time now off
> 8.2-RELEASE and had zero issues.

This looks good.

> Next up is an enhancement to camcontrol to enable to
> support ata secure erase functionality:-
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/159833
>
> Again been discussed on freebsd-stable no issues raised.
>
> We've been using this quite a bit recently to perform
> resets on ssds in order to restore their performance,
> again no issues detected.
>
> Would be great if someone could commit these as they
> are really useful and with a very low risk might
> be nice if we could see them in 9.0 :)

Thanks for doing these!  They seem like they would be very useful.
Hopefully, once we get trim support plumbed all the way down, it won't be
necessary to issue the erase manually.

I do have a few comments:

 - The patches should be generated against head, since they would be
   committed there first and merged back.  (They don't apply cleanly to
   head.)

 - There are a number of style issues in the patches:
	- Lines longer than 80 characters
	- Spaces/formatting problems (e.g. at the beginning of
	  atasecurity_erase()).
	- The prevailing style of the file isn't followed for line
	  continuations.  (It isn't always KNF, either.)

 - I'm not really a fan of getopt_long.  There are lots of password
   arguments, how about turning those into '-p foopasswd=bar' instead?

Anyway, if you could, please address those things and send me the diffs.

Thanks!

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry