Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 15:08:15 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/VMWare setup for dummies?

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 08:42:30AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  Actually, late last night I actually flopped in
> the correct direction (probably accidentally).  I'll note where your
> stuff differs from mine:
>
> :- First off, is the NT/BSD boot disk an IDE disk? I hope so. Even VMware
> :- themselves say booting a VM from scsi is at best experimental. I would
> :- seriously doubt it would work under FreeBSD, but maybe
>
> It's scsi, and it seems to work.

I've been following this thread and learnt quite a bit from it, thanks
guys, however I *still* can't get vmware to run :(

It starts up but as soon as I click the Power On button the vmware
window turns black and the whole machine locks solid (no keyboard or
mouse response, and the desktop clock and xtimer stop) and after ~15
secs the machine spontaneously reboots (which is a PITA as it fsck's
the disks every time).

There is no clue in the vmware log, or /var/adm/messages, as to the
cause.

I've tried using a virtual disk and (currently) a plain disk (SCSI).
I've set up with no CD-ROM and floppy (to minimize possible causes)
but still it won't run.

I originally built it with the latest port (Makefile rev 1.20) but in
another thread here it implied/suggested that the previous Makefile
(rev 1.19) may be better, so I grabbed that and tried it - no
different.

Can anyone shed any light on the cause of these crashes? Also, I have
no .nvram file. Is it  supposed to be created by hand? If so, what
goes in it?

# uname -a
FreeBSD parish 4.1-RC FreeBSD 4.1-RC #0: Thu Jul 20 20:54:53 BST 2000
root@parish:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARISH  i386

# cat win95.{cfg,hba}
#!/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware
config.version = 2

# No cdrom installed

# Disk Drive Info
scsi0:0.present = TRUE
scsi0:0.deviceType = "plainDisk"
scsi0:0.fileName = "win95.hba"
scsi0.present = TRUE

# No floppy installed

floppy0.present = FALSE

# No networking installed

# Memory size
memsize = 32

# Nvram
nvram = /usr/marko/.vmware/win95/win95.nvram

# Log file
log.fileName = /usr/marko/.vmware/win95/win95.log

# Hints
guestOS = win95

DRIVETYPE scsi
CYLINDERS 527
HEADS 255
SECTORS 63
ACCESS "disk.mbr" 0 63
ACCESS "/dev/rda0s1" 63 1044162
ACCESS "/dev/null"   1044225 7422030

--
  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?