Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:50:21 -0600
From:      James Gorham <james@veldt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hosts.allow

Greetings.
My apologies for the 3 messages that jumped on the list yesterday, I was
having problems with my ISP and DNS and they sat in the mailq for a few
days then finally popped onto the list.

I have a question about the hosts.allow file. I'm running FreeBSD
4.1-Release, and I use natd for IP aliasing. I have the freeBSD machine and
two aliased machines behind the BSD box. I've got the hosts.allow file to
refuse just about everything, but i'm trying to specifcy in the file
specific services (ssh, pserver, pop3) for certain machines. currently, the
only way I've gotten these machines is to just do a complete:
ALL : ip.address : allow

Doing specific services such as:
popper: ip.address : allow

Does not seem to work. I'm guessing I'm probably not naming the services
correctly in the hosts.allow file, but I thought they came straight from
inetd.conf.

for instance, this is the entry for the CVS pserver in inetd.conf
cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/cvs    cvs
--allow-root=/usr/local/xxx pserver

should this be listed in hosts.allow as:
pserver : ip.address : allow

or as:
cvspserver : ip.address : allow

The pop mail entry in inetd.conf looks like this;
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/qpopper      popper

But, I can only check popmail from machines other than the FreeBSD box if I
have:
ALL : ip.address : allow

If i comment that line out, and try:
popper : ip.address : allow

It refuses. I've tried all combinations too, popper, popper3, pop3, pop.
Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

-J