Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:36:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Johan Kuuse <kuuse@redantigua.com>
Cc:        sjg@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Make question

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Johan Kuuse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a specific question about using space (and how to escape them) in a
> makefile's target name for FreeBSD Make (not GNU Make). I already tried
> this question on freebsd-questions, no luck so far. Here are all the
> details:

I'm not sure that this -doc list is the most likely place to find someone
who knows the answer.  I sort of suspect that the answer is actually "this
will not work at all", but am not really equipped to verify that in the
source.

I've cc'd Simon Gerraty, since he has been doing a lot of work with make
and bmake recently; if he doesn't reply/know, asking on the -hackers list
might get better exposure.

Simon: do we allow whitespace in target names in either fmake or bmake?
If so, what are the escaping rules?

Thanks,

Ben