Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 08:36:41 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X.org 7.2 ports merged into the FreeBSD Ports Tree

--kH8JNVvasRCCW1Oz

On 2007-May-19 15:10:07 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> I presume there will be followup commits at some stage to fix
>> src/etc/defaults/rc.conf src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf and
>> src/etc/login.conf
>
> I presume that by "fix" you mean "remove X11R6 related stuff."

Yes.

> My vote (as=20
> someone deeply interested in /etc and especially rc.d related issues) wou=
ld=20
> be that it be changed in 7-current soonish, and not changed in RELENG_6 a=
t=20
> all. Given that by default there will be /usr/X11R6 symlinks for the=20
> foreseeable future, I don't see any harm in leaving the status quo as is =
in=20
> RELENG_6, and I see potential POLA violations if we don't.

There are POLA violations whatever is done:

If X11R6 references are removed then anyone who hasn't upgraded to xorg
7.2 will lose any X-related startup/libs/manpages/...

If you upgrade to xorg 7.2 but don't cleanup the /etc files then rc.d
and periodic scripts are processe twice.  (I was getting warned about
ports with security problems twice).

Possibly mergebase.sh needs to do more fixup itself or include a bigger
warning.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--kH8JNVvasRCCW1Oz