Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:37:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARRGH Netscape stinks!

Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net> types:
> You know, I have to agree.  Unfortunately many of the alternatives are
> pretty unstable.  I would like to see a basic web browser that handles
> current java/script, css, HTML/1.? etc without being so bloated that
> it is unusable and unstable enough to make surfing a nightmare.

JavaScript is a security nightmare. Java isn't quit so bad, but CERT
recommends turning them both off. I turn off Flash because I haven't
had time to investigate the security issues.

> Preferably, this hypothetical browser would let me *choose* my own
> mail client (there's a new concept).

No, there's an *old* concept. Ibrowse did that back in 97 or so. Of
course, IBrowse pretty much did *everything* right as far as the user
was concerned. To bad it doesn't run on Unix.

w3m is in the ports tree, and lets you choose a mail client. Also your
editor for multiline input fields, and up to three external browsers.

> Maybe the FreeBSD community should get together and define the
> 'perfect' web client?  Then maybe someone would actually write one for
> a change.  As far as I'm concerned, the web browser should be
> mousable (web browsers are the only thing that bring me to my mouse
> anymore), but should be completely workable from the keyboard - one
> advantage to Lynx.

Still sounds like w3m to me.

	<mike