Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 13:55:38 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On generating port size statistics

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:11:08PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Not seeing an easy way to do this, I hacked together the attached patch
> to bsd.port.mk.  It assumes that files/md5 has an additional SIZE line
> for each distfile, which the "makesum" target will now create (based on
> code that was already there, I just uncommented it).  "make stats" will
> then walk the dependency tree, printing out the size information if it's
> present.

Thanks for doing some work on this; I've had it in my queue for quite
some time now.  :-)

> For example,
>
>     % cd /usr/ports/graphics/sketch
>     % make stats | sort | uniq
>     Distutils-0.8.2.tar.gz: 113573
>     Imaging-1.0.tar.gz: 313109
>     PyXML-0.5.4.tar.gz: 504036
>     Wraphelp.c:
>     X336src-1.tgz:
>     X336src-2.tgz:
>     jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz: 613261
>     libtool-1.3.4.tar.gz: 535519
>     py152.tgz: 2533053
>     sketch-0.6.7.tar.gz: 793745
>     tcl8.2.3.tar.gz:
>     tk8.2.3.tar.gz:

Instead of piping this to sort | uniq, you could create a target that
generates the list of DISTFILES and their associated port and call each
md5 file.

> Thoughts?  If there's interest, I'll submit this as a PR for someone to
> follow up on.

IMO, I think the "SIZE" is redundant; the size number should be appended
to the end of each distfile's md5 sum line.

The code looks ok to me; perhaps someone with a better understanding of
the bsd.port.mk makefile logic can give a better evaluation.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>