Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:41:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www.edns.com

>>>>> "Steve" == Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com> writes:

Steve> I only ask this question here because I wondered if FreeBSD
Steve> intends to add their root servers to the standard cache file
Steve> distributed with FreeBSD.

I would certainly hope not.

Steve> Anyone got the pros/cons on this?

Well, edns isn't the only outfit out there screwing around with adding
more TLDs.  There's AlterNIC, and some others that I can't remember
right now.  To complicate matters, the TLDs that these guys are
dishing out aren't necessarily unique once you mesh all of the
namespaces.  This is bad, bad, bad, bad news.

A lot of these people are running around crying "monopoly" and
squealing about their "right" to  try a business venture, blah blah
blah.  I listened to Paul Garrin whine about this on HotWired's
HotSeat a while back (in January?)  I imagine how he could have
presented a LESS convincing argument on why anyone should pay him (or
any of these other silly outfits) any attention.

I'm actually not terribly pleased that IAHC is going to add new TLDs.
The system is fine as it is, but the problem is that it isn't being
used as it was designed, and now, instead of doing something that
makes sense, people are out there registering dozens of domain names,
creating a horrible waste of the namespace, etc.  Adding more TLDs
isn't going to fix this: it just make the namespace wider...  It's
only a matter of time before we're facing the same problem
again... Then what, add more TLDs?

No, I think that the namespace should be given out a little less
freely, at least in the "big" three-letter TLDs...  Not only is having
lots of TLDs gross and difficult to make sense of, but it does create
more load on the root nameservers.  (Not in the number of requests, of
course, this will increase as long as the number of DNS lookups
increases, but it will increase the size of the tables of domains and
their associated root nameservers that need to be maintained.)

I'd be perfectly happy to see the TLDs all go away, except for the
two-letter country code domains, and ".int"...

--
Matt Curtin  Chief Scientist  Megasoft, Inc.  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/    I speak only for myself