Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:20:14 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        hey9811@yahoo.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM/Cyrix 6x86 133(PR166)

David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com> types:
> >By the way, is it possible to compile for one machine with another
> >machine?
> Works for me -- I build stuff on one of the Intellistations, and after
> it's back up & running, I'll export its /usr, then mount its
> /usr/{obj,src} on the corresponding mount points on another box (another
> Intellistation, a non-name PC, or one of the laptops, for example) and
> then do the "make installkernel", "make installworld", & "mergemaster" on
> the target machine.

Just to provide a different viewpoint, I do it the opposite way. I do
a buildworld & buildkernel on my workstation (which is a nice, fast
box), then do the installation tango on a K6-2 test box that mounts
/usr/src and the file system that /usr/obj is a symlink to. If the
test box boots and everything works fine, I'll then go back to my
workstation, and go through the installation tango with it as well.

	<mike