Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:50:17 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recovering a DVD

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Jason C. Wells <jcw@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I have a back up DVD that I cannot mount.  dd won't read /dev/acd0  with an
> error "dd: /dev/acd0: Input/output error".    Tried dvdisaster but it can't
> find my drive. Any pointers you can offer in getting this data off this disc
> are greatly appreciated.

Yeah dvdisaster documentation leaves something to be desired.  A tiny,
unauthorive FAQ is what you're supposed to follow.

On the other hand, you miss understand what dvdisaster is capable of.  It
will not help as you're supposed to use it BEFORE it goes bad.  I would try
Chuck's suggestion first then maybe some physical media repair techniques.
Are you sure the DVD was ever usable?

--
Adam Vande More