Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:50:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JVM and gcc31

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 07:26:50PM -0700, Nick Johnson wrote:
> Here's a pointer... if you're having problems with the native JVM crashing
> sporadically, try compiling it with gcc31 out of ports instead of the
> stock gcc.  I was having problems and gave it a try considering that billh
> had better luck with the HotSpot JVM when using gcc31.  Prior to my newest
> build, the JVM would crash 10-12 times a day- now it's run all day without
> a crash.
>
> I suggest building OpenJIT with gcc31 as well.
>
> Greg: is there a way to make the port depend on gcc31 and convince it to
> use that to compile, or is that a bad idea?

It certainly could be done.  Whether its a good idea or not is another
matter :).  I haven't looked at the gcc ports for a while, but last time
I looked they defined __FreeBSD__, but not to the correct value (this
was a long time ago, so that may well have been fixed).  If it hasn't
been fixed, then this may cause problems during the build (certain areas
of the code have #ifdef's based on the value of __FreeBSD__).

The other thing this does is add another large dependency to an already
fat port.  How much of an extra pain that would be I'm not sure.

Are you running 4.x or 5.x?
--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org