Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 2015 18:43:09 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <list-freebsd-stable@jyborn.se>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: There has to be a better way of merging /etc during a major freebsd-update

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 06:58:07AM -0700, Chris H wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:05:40 +0100 Peter Olsson <list-freebsd-stable@jyborn.se>
> wrote
>
> > This flag to mergemaster saved a lot of work when I did
> > upgrades the old way, with cvsup and the make steps and
> > then mergemaster:
> > "
> > # Install the new file if it differs only by VCS Id ($FreeBSD)
> > FREEBSD_ID=yes
> > "
> > Is there some equivalent to this flag in freebsd-update/merge?
> Hello, Peter.
> This has probably been answered by now. But just in case.
> I believe what you're looking for is:
> mergemaster -vF

Yes, that would probably solve my problem. Can I just
change this line in /etc/freebsd-update.conf:

MergeChanges /etc/ /var/named/etc/ /boot/device.hints

to this:

MergeChanges /var/named/etc/ /boot/device.hints

And run mergemaster after the first freebsd-update install,
before I reboot?

Thanks!

Peter Olsson