Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:59:51 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, andreas@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docproj depends on X11 now?!?!

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 03:55:40PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 24-Feb-01 Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 02:23:10PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> >> Woah.  I was building a test release with DOCS turned on and happened to
> >> look
> >> over and saw that it was installing the XFree86 3.3.6 port due to a
> >> dependency
> >> on libpng.  Which is an interactive port.  Which makes release not be
> >> non-interactive anymore.  This needs to be fixed, esp. before it comes time
> >> rolling 4.3.
> >
> > jasone on #fightclub just told me that Ghostscript turns on the X11
> > display device by default.
> >
> > Andreas, with your MAINTAINER hat on, could we patch the ghostscript6 port
> > so that it asks whether or not the end user needs the X11 support included
> > or not, and adjust the patches and dependencies as necessary?
> >
> > I'm happy to do the work for this.
>
> Eek!  Please don't make it ask.  Or rather, provide a variable I can set in the
> environment that release can use to make it just DTRT w/o asking the user
> anything.  release needs to be non-interactive. :)

My current thinking is a slave port, ghostscript6-nox11 that eps2png can
depend on instead.  There are other options (a WITH_X11 variable, that
sort of thing) that various people on irc have suggested as well.  Not
being a prolific porter, I'm going to go with whatever's easiest for me
to implement (viz, a slave port) unless people have specific objections
(or they want to write the code).

Thoughts?