Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 12:46:29 -0400
From:      PJourdan <info@lespetitsplaisirs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: double scsi boot

--=====================_9546203==_.ALT

At 06:12 PM 5/19/2002 +0300, omax wrote:
Hello PJourdan,

My boot.ini is following

[boot loader]
timeout=1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\Windows="XP Pro (ad0s6)" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="NT5 Pro Stable (ad0s5)" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD 4.3"
c:\="dos (ad0s3)"

So you can see four OS's (Win98, Win2000, WinXP and lovely FreeBSD)

Where to take bootsect.bsd?
Just do following in your shell:
$ cp /boot/boot1 /dos/c/bootsect.bsd

where /dos/c/ is mount point for your disk c: and is bootable

Thanks for your input, omax.
My problem is a bit more complex. You see, I am booting from SCSI on a
Tekram DC-390U3W controller card. FreeBSD is on one SCSI card on the second
partition; W2KPro is on the first partition of the second SCSI drive (NTFS)
with a fat logical partition after it on the rest of the disk.
I just ran PartitionMagic7 to verify:
disk1 = 410mb C: (IDE)
disk2 = 8722mb (SCSI) H: primary W2K - NTFS (ver. 3)
J: extended - fat
disk3 = 8754mb (SCSI) D: fat
* FreeBSD
disk4 = 34412mb (raid - NTFS)

Except for the extended J: disk(fat) all the rest seem to be marked as
primary and active. I'm kind-of wondering about the active; I thought that
a partition is marked active only when one boots from it...

This is my boot.ini from Win2KPro:
[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD".

The last line does not function as ekither I am unable to point it to the
right disk and partition or for some unknown reason the controller does not
allow it.
I have read the MS literature on the formatting of the boot.ini file but so
far have not been able to make it work.
And grub, although it works for FreeBSD, refuses to load W2KPro with the
error message that the file system 0x7 (NTFS) is unknown.
I have seen a message on the web that kthe NTFS files system is on the todo
list for the next release of grub but am told that it should work anyway.
So far, I don't know of anyone who has been able to deal with this problem
on NTFS with grub or anything.
All this is really almost pointless as I am just trying to fine tune
FreeBSD and next, install the OpenOffice suite for MS compatibility.
Otherwise, I have no love for that other troublesome operating system.
On that subject, I have looked at the Linux & do prefer FreeBSD as it is
quite well documented and is more reliable and easy to deal with and so on
and on I could praise it... I do have my little complaints, but then
nothing is perfect in an imperfect world... :))
Thanks for any further help...
Phil Jourdan

--=====================_9546203==_.ALT

At 06:12 PM 5/19/2002 +0300, omax wrote:<br>
Hello PJourdan,<br><br>
My boot.ini is following<br><br>
[boot loader]<br>
timeout=1<br>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT<br>
[operating systems]<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\Windows=&quot;XP Pro (ad0s6)&quot;
/fastdetect<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT=&quot;NT5 Pro Stable
(ad0s5)&quot; /fastdetect<br>
c:\bootsect.bsd=&quot;FreeBSD 4.3&quot; <br>
c:\=&quot;dos (ad0s3)&quot; <br><br>
So you can see four OS's (Win98, Win2000, WinXP and lovely
FreeBSD)<br><br>
Where to take bootsect.bsd?<br>
Just do following in your shell:<br>
$ cp /boot/boot1 /dos/c/bootsect.bsd<br><br>
where /dos/c/ is mount point for your disk c: and is bootable<br><br>
Thanks for your input, omax.<br>
My problem is a bit more complex. You see, I am booting from SCSI on a
Tekram DC-390U3W controller card. FreeBSD is on one SCSI card on the
second partition; W2KPro is on the first partition of the second SCSI
drive (NTFS) with a fat logical partition after it on the rest of the
disk.<br>
I just ran PartitionMagic7 to verify:<br>
disk1 = 410mb C: (IDE)<br>
disk2 = 8722mb (SCSI) H: primary W2K - NTFS (ver. 3)<br>
J: extended - fat<br>
disk3 = 8754mb (SCSI) D: fat<br>
* FreeBSD<br>
disk4 = 34412mb (raid - NTFS)<br><br>
Except for the extended J: disk(fat) all the rest seem to be marked as
primary and active. I'm kind-of wondering about the active; I thought
that a partition is marked active only when one boots from
it...<br><br>
This is my boot.ini from Win2KPro:<br>
[boot loader]<br>
timeout=15<br>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT<br>
[operating systems]<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=&quot;Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional&quot; /fastdetect<br>
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT=&quot;Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery
Console&quot; /cmdcons<br>
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\BOOTSECT.BSD=&quot;FreeBSD&quot;.<br><br>
The last line does not function as ekither I am unable to point it to the
right disk and partition or for some unknown reason the controller does
not allow it.<br>
I have read the MS literature on the formatting of the boot.ini file but
so far have not been able to make it work.<br>
And grub, although it works for FreeBSD, refuses to load W2KPro with the
error message that the file system 0x7 (NTFS) is unknown.<br>
I have seen a message on the web that kthe NTFS files system is on the
todo list for the next release of grub but am told that it should work
anyway. So far, I don't know of anyone who has been able to deal with
this problem on NTFS with grub or anything.<br>
All this is really almost pointless as I am just trying to fine tune
FreeBSD and next, install the OpenOffice suite for MS compatibility.
Otherwise, I have no love for that other troublesome operating
system.<br>
On that subject, I have looked at the Linux &amp; do prefer FreeBSD as it
is quite well documented and is more reliable and easy to deal with and
so on and on I could praise it... I do have my little complaints, but
then nothing is perfect in an imperfect world... :))<br>
Thanks for any further help...<br>
Phil Jourdan<br>